Anesthesiology/Side effects of anesthesia

Question
I had back surgery 20+ years ago, following which for several days I was combative and, well, nasty; it was completely unpleasant for me and those around me.  (No nurses were even speaking to me by the time I was discharged!)  I shared this with my anesthesiologist when several years later I had another surgery.  He said he'd "take care of it."  And he did!  Following surgery I experienced several days of near euphoria -- without a morphine pump.  Unfortunately I never had the opportunity to ask what the second doc did to make the experience so much better.
I'm now facing surgery again (MISS) and I want to have an intelligent conversation with my anesthesiologist.  Is there any way to predict how I will respond to various anesthesia meds and which one will minimize this undesirable post operative response?  I'm trying to save my caregivers unnecessary stress, not only myself.

Answer
Interesting.  I'm only becoming aware of this behavioral change after surgery through my work on this site.  Really the only way to know what to avoid or what to give is to review exactly what medications were given on the previous anesthetics.

However, different people respond in different ways to anesthetics and on different days.  Other factors that contribute to a patient response to surgery are type of surgery, time of day, patients anxiety level prior to surgery, and duration of hospitalization after surgery.  

Unfortunately, I cannot think of any anesthetic regimen that i can recommend that will reliably reduce the incidence of post operative behavioral/personality changes.  

I wish you luck.
Dr. Russell

Anesthesiology

Rex Russell