Anesthesiology/Side effects of anesthesia

I had back surgery 20+ years ago, following which for several days I was combative and, well, nasty; it was completely unpleasant for me and those around me.  (No nurses were even speaking to me by the time I was discharged!)  I shared this with my anesthesiologist when several years later I had another surgery.  He said he'd "take care of it."  And he did!  Following surgery I experienced several days of near euphoria -- without a morphine pump.  Unfortunately I never had the opportunity to ask what the second doc did to make the experience so much better.
I'm now facing surgery again (MISS) and I want to have an intelligent conversation with my anesthesiologist.  Is there any way to predict how I will respond to various anesthesia meds and which one will minimize this undesirable post operative response?  I'm trying to save my caregivers unnecessary stress, not only myself.

Interesting.  I'm only becoming aware of this behavioral change after surgery through my work on this site.  Really the only way to know what to avoid or what to give is to review exactly what medications were given on the previous anesthetics.

However, different people respond in different ways to anesthetics and on different days.  Other factors that contribute to a patient response to surgery are type of surgery, time of day, patients anxiety level prior to surgery, and duration of hospitalization after surgery.  

Unfortunately, I cannot think of any anesthetic regimen that i can recommend that will reliably reduce the incidence of post operative behavioral/personality changes.  

I wish you luck.
Dr. Russell

Rex Russell

Any question dealing with general anesthesia issues. With particular emphasis on regional anesthesia.

I am a board certified anesthesiologist, graduated from residency in 2004 from Johns Hopkins Hospital. I have since worked as an anesthesiologist first in the Air Force for three years and then most recently in Texas in Private Practice.

Texas Medical Association Texas society of Anesthesiologists American Society of Anesthesiologists

BS, BYU MD, U of Texas, Galveston Intern-St. Joe's Hospital, Phx, AZ Internal Medicine Residency-Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD