Anesthesiology/npo status

Question
There are varying opinions on npo status all around the country, however what is your feeling on a patient arriving for a colonoscopy while chewing tobacco? Obviously the patient has undergone the prep and cancellation is not necessary, but how long would you wait based on the possibility of particulate tobacco in his stomach

Thank you
John, CRNA, MS

Answer
This is a tough question and I suppose would depend on the rest of the medical history. Generally speaking, if he has no other aspiration risk factors and I have the option to postpone to later, I would wait 4 hrs or the last case of the day (Whichever came first) but make sure the patient was aware of the increased risk and give them the option to cancel.

Ronald Levy, MD
Professor of Anesthesiology
UTMB-Galveston

Anesthesiology

Ronald Levy, M.D.