Anesthesiology/npo status

There are varying opinions on npo status all around the country, however what is your feeling on a patient arriving for a colonoscopy while chewing tobacco? Obviously the patient has undergone the prep and cancellation is not necessary, but how long would you wait based on the possibility of particulate tobacco in his stomach

Thank you
John, CRNA, MS

This is a tough question and I suppose would depend on the rest of the medical history. Generally speaking, if he has no other aspiration risk factors and I have the option to postpone to later, I would wait 4 hrs or the last case of the day (Whichever came first) but make sure the patient was aware of the increased risk and give them the option to cancel.

Ronald Levy, MD
Professor of Anesthesiology

Ronald Levy, M.D.

Associate Professor of Anesthesiology, University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. I am a board certified anesthesiologist who can answer all questions related to any type of Anesthesia with the exception of Pain Management.