Anesthesiology/Repeated general anasthesia on child

Dear Doctor,

My child underwent right inguinal hernia repair laproscopic surgery at 1 yr 3 months age. Unfortunately the hernia reappeared on the left side and once again we had a left inguinal hernia repair laproscopic surgery at the age of 1 yr 7 months(last week).

Thus my child has been administered general anaesthesia twice within a gap of 4 months.

As parents we are so much worried about the side effects of general anaesthesia as nowadays doctors don't prefer general anaesthetics even for adult patients.Also some internet literatures discusses about long term effects of anaesthesia on brain development in children.

Kindly advise what precautions we should take to prevent or reduce the side effects of anaesthesia  on our child's health and well being.

Generally speaking, you don't have anything to worry about. I am surprised that they did this procedure laparoscopically since this was likely an indirect hernia and the open repair (at that age) takes 10 minutes. Furthermore, they generally perform a bilateral repair at the initial sitting. That being said, it is already done, but the effects of anesthesia on brain development is currently being studied. For the length of time your child was under anesthesia, I don't think you have anything to worry about. The reports deal with more prolonged exposure over multiple surgeries. This is not the case here. There has been no definitive study linking anesthesia to brain development in the medical literature that I am aware of. There are really no precautions to take and there is nothing to reduce the side effects.

Ronald Levy, MD
Professor of Anesthesiology

Ronald Levy, M.D.

Associate Professor of Anesthesiology, University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. I am a board certified anesthesiologist who can answer all questions related to any type of Anesthesia with the exception of Pain Management.