Dr.I am going to be having gallbladder surgery soon, and I have TMJ pain and can't open my mouth very wide. Do I discuss this with my anest. when he comes in before surgery? Could he warm my jaws up, or will the  muscles relax from the drugs he will use? Thanks

Discuss the matter with the anesthesiologist prior to surgery. Be sure that he can assure you that the facility in which the surgery is taking place has the equipment to deal with what you have and what is known as a "difficult airway".  Drugs to relax your jaw and related musculature are part of a solution in your case. There are many ways to address your condition such that your anesthesia is safely conducted, and these are routine matters for Board-Certified Anesthesiologists. For more details you might want to google or youtube "difficult airway".

JM Starkman, MD

Over twenty-five years of adult and pediatric, inpatient and outpatient clinical anesthesia practice--some private, some group.

American Association of Physicians and Surgeons. My county medical society.

[not a researcher]

American medical school graduate. Board Certified. Fellowship trained Cardiovascular and Pediatric anesthesia subspecialist.

Over 20,000 anesthetics, the majority of which have been personally managed, with less than 5% consisting of supervising nurse anesthetists or in-training resident physicians.