Anesthesiology/Becoming a CRNA with prior felony conviction

Question
Hi Mike

I really want to become a CRNA. And this questions has been bothering me for quite sometime. In 1995 I was 18 years old and was convicted of a 3rd degree weapons charge hanging with the wrong crowd as a young teenager. And then in 1998 I got in trouble for purchasing is shotgun from Kmart,. Which was intended for home protection. I was unaware of that you can't not purchase a shotgun with a prior felony. The first incident happened 19 years ago and the second one 16 years ago.Since then i have not been into any trouble and stay away from trouble at all cost. I'm currently a registered nurse and hold a clean  New York State RN license, as well as a California State RN license The boards of nursing in both states are aware of both prior convictions. In which I was granted my license to practice. I did receive my certificate of good relief and conduct from New York State. It took me almost a year to receive it but I do have it. I've been working and ICU as a traveler registered nurse for about 2 years. I got a U

Answer
Hi Sedrick

Thanks for your question!

I read both parts and will just respond to this one ;)

I see nothing standing in your way to becoming a CRNA. The board of nursing makes the decision if you can have a license and once they have made that determination, as they already have with you, there is no reason you cannot then become a CRNA.

Having said that schools will require that you disclose this information on your application. They may or may not choose to take you because of it tho i can see no reason why anyone would hold something so remote against you.

Lastly, when you apply for a job or a new RN/CRNA license in a new state you will have to go through the same process. A state BON or employer may choose not to hire you because of your previous conviction, tho again I really cannot see why.

So my advice is to go for it! What little risk there is due to your remote history is unlikely to impact you getting into a school and getting a job!

Anesthesiology

Mike MacKinnon MSN FNP-C CRNA