Anesthesiology/Colonoscopy

Question
This is my third colonoscopy in 2-1/3 years and it is because I approached by Gastroenterologist with a small problem.  My question: he uses propafol.  I have had it twice before.  I know I "wake up" with no residual effect.  In my State it is unlawful for a medical professional to allow a person to drive after any anesthetic, however I know fully well that I can drive just fine.  I'm having trouble finding someone to take me because I have to be there (45 minutes away) at 8:30AM and then, of course, they have to sit around waiting for two hours or more.  A friend told me she drove fine after her endoscopy.  Is it safe for me to drive myself and take myself home?  At this point, I'm a professional at prepping and it's no big deal.  What do you think?

Answer
While you could probably get home safe, it is NOT safe to drive, particularly since it is such a long drive. Your mentation is less, your reaction time is impaired and you level of consciousness is not 100%. So I strongly do not recommend doing that.

Ronald Levy, MD
Professor of Anesthesiology
UTMB-Galveston

Anesthesiology

Ronald Levy, M.D.