I am seeing a bariatric doctor and will be put on phentermine on Monday. My BMI is at 26 and this is a final push to loose the extra baby weight. At some point this fall I will be having hand surgery to repair a joint that has been destroyed. From your perspective can I safely take the phentermine now and stop 2-3 weeks before surgery? My health on the operating table is worth more than the 10lbs.

Stop the phentermine 3 weeks prior to surgery and let the anesthesiologist know this and you should have no issues.  A nerve block for your hand surgery as opposed to a general anesthetic will further limit the likelihood of complications and, additionally, provide excellent post operative pain relief.  Discuss the whole matter with the anesthesiologist days PRIOR to your surgery.  You don't need any "surprises" that you or your surgeon are unamenable to on surgery day.

JM Starkman, MD

Over twenty-five years of adult and pediatric, inpatient and outpatient clinical anesthesia practice--some private, some group.

American Association of Physicians and Surgeons. My county medical society.

[not a researcher]

American medical school graduate. Board Certified. Fellowship trained Cardiovascular and Pediatric anesthesia subspecialist.

Over 20,000 anesthetics, the majority of which have been personally managed, with less than 5% consisting of supervising nurse anesthetists or in-training resident physicians.