Anesthesiology/topical anesthesics

Is it possible to add other analgesics to either EMLA cream or Voltaren Gel. I was diagnosed with fibro and I take Lyrica but limit its use to only a hour or so before bed since it makes me feel slow and stupid. Would adding Lyrica powder to either topical allow clearance through the epidermis? Also how is it that  EMLA and Voltaren are capable of being absorbed topically?

Adding lyrica as a powder would not be effective. Even if you could its action requires a proper medication level at the site of action which means you would likely suffer similar side effects regardless of mode delivery. I'm not sure I understand your question about being absorbed topically. I'm not of the detailed mechanism of how medications make their way from skin to blood except to say that skin is thin and there is a large amount of vascularture that runs just beneath the skin such that product placed on the skin will find their way  through skin and into the blood and this to site of action. Certainly some of this product finds its way to local tissue as well.  

Rex Russell

Any question dealing with general anesthesia issues. With particular emphasis on regional anesthesia.

I am a board certified anesthesiologist, graduated from residency in 2004 from Johns Hopkins Hospital. I have since worked as an anesthesiologist first in the Air Force for three years and then most recently in Texas in Private Practice.

Texas Medical Association Texas society of Anesthesiologists American Society of Anesthesiologists

BS, BYU MD, U of Texas, Galveston Intern-St. Joe's Hospital, Phx, AZ Internal Medicine Residency-Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD