Anesthesiology/Anesthetic Concerns of Upcoming Oral Surgery

Hi, I'm 15 years old and having all four of my wisdom teeth extracted Monday morning. I have a few concerns about the anesthesia to be administered. At my consultation, I requested that my oral surgeon use Propofol, as it is the only general anesthetic I have been administered in the past, therefore I know I tolerate it quite well. I also requested two doses of Valium for my extensive anxiety about surgical procedures. I am supposed to take the first dose of Valium before I go to sleep the night before the procedure and the second dose an hour before the procedure takes place.

I am curious if Propofol and Valium, when used together, may heighten the risk of serious complications during the procedure.

Thank you.

For your age, generally not. Valium, in elder populations, has a longer half-life, so patients stay sedated longer and can have respiratory problems. IN young people, this is not the case. It is not uncommon to give a sedative pre-procedure as in your case. As long as your oral surgeon is trained in the use of Propofol, you should have no worries.

Ronald Levy, MD
Professor of Anesthesiology

Ronald Levy, M.D.

Associate Professor of Anesthesiology, University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. I am a board certified anesthesiologist who can answer all questions related to any type of Anesthesia with the exception of Pain Management.