Anesthesiology/Surgery while taking Nardil

Question
I have been on Nardil for 6 months and I am extremely worried about going off the antidepressant for 10 days prior to surgery.  Nardil is finally working for me after 2 years of searching for the correct antidepressant.  Is it possible to work with an anesthesiologist in adjusting the sedation medicine so that I do not have to go off the Nardil?  Is there a pain medication that I can use after surgery?

Answer
You should have a preoperative evaluation by your anesthesiologist a couple of days prior to surgery. You can discuss your issues with him/her at that time and they can develop a plan with you that will allow you to continue on the Nardil.

Ronald Levy, MD
Professor of Anesthesiology
UTMB-Galveston

Anesthesiology

Ronald Levy, M.D.