Dr. Porter,
         I was wondering what would happen if someone injected EMLA creme subcutaneously? I have fibromyalgia and the creme doesn't seem to penetrate deep enough to reach my trigger points.

Thank you for a very interesting question.

The FDA has not approved EMLA for injection, only as a cream formulation. As a result, using it as an injection could has very serious side-effects. EMLA is a combination of lidocaine and prilocaine, both local anesthetics. These are dissolved in an oil-based emulsion. The FDA approved package insert states "For Topical Use Only" and "Do not used on open wounds".

I would not recommend using EMLA cream in a manner not specified by the FDA. The consequences might be worse than the condition for which it is being used.

Thank you for this question. I hope you find a solution to your condition.

Charles T Porter Jr MD

Questions in all fields of Anesthesiology except Pain Management.

I have been in the practice of Anesthesiology since 1981.

American Society of Anesthesiologists, International Anesthesia Research Society, Texas Society of Anesthesiologists, Texas Medical Association

Graduate of the Citadel and the Medical University of South Carolina. Completed Anesthesiology residency at the Naval Medical Center San Diego, California. Board certified in Anesthesiology and a Fellow of the American College of Anesthesiologists.

Alpha Omega Alpha National Medical Honor Society 1978, Outstanding Graduate Anesthesiology Resident Naval Medical Center San Diego California