Anesthesiology/emla

Question
Dr. Porter,
         I was wondering what would happen if someone injected EMLA creme subcutaneously? I have fibromyalgia and the creme doesn't seem to penetrate deep enough to reach my trigger points.

Answer
Thank you for a very interesting question.

The FDA has not approved EMLA for injection, only as a cream formulation. As a result, using it as an injection could has very serious side-effects. EMLA is a combination of lidocaine and prilocaine, both local anesthetics. These are dissolved in an oil-based emulsion. The FDA approved package insert states "For Topical Use Only" and "Do not used on open wounds".

I would not recommend using EMLA cream in a manner not specified by the FDA. The consequences might be worse than the condition for which it is being used.

Thank you for this question. I hope you find a solution to your condition.

Anesthesiology

Charles T Porter Jr MD