Anesthesiology/lidocaine

Question
Mike,
      I was wondering what the composition of a lidocaine ampule. I understand that lidocaine is solid at room temperature. Is this simply lidocaine solid dissolved in water?

Answer
Hi There

Interesting question and one i have not thought much about before.

Each ampoule of 10ml contains:
Lidocaine hydrochloride 1% or 2% (Lignocaine hydrochloride) in an isotonic sodium chloride solution without preservatives.

Lidocaine hydrochloride injection, USP contains Lidocaine hydrochloride, which is chemically designated as acetamide, 2-(diethylamino)-N-(2,6-dimethylphenyl)-, monohydrochloride and has the molecular weight 270.8. Lidocaine hydrochloride (C14H22N2O HCl) Lidocaine hydrochloride injection, USP is a sterile, nonpyrogenic, isotonic solution containing sodium chloride. The pH of the solution is adjusted to approximately 6.5 (5.0−7.0) with sodium hydroxide and/or hydrochloric acid.

That is all the info i could find on the subject! I spend about 2 hours reviewing all of my pharm books and anesthesia books but there isnt anything more specific about how it is synthesized.

Great question im not sure if i answered it well.

Anesthesiology

Mike MacKinnon MSN FNP-C CRNA