I was wondering what the composition of a lidocaine ampule. I understand that lidocaine is solid at room temperature. Is this simply lidocaine solid dissolved in water?

Hi There

Interesting question and one i have not thought much about before.

Each ampoule of 10ml contains:
Lidocaine hydrochloride 1% or 2% (Lignocaine hydrochloride) in an isotonic sodium chloride solution without preservatives.

Lidocaine hydrochloride injection, USP contains Lidocaine hydrochloride, which is chemically designated as acetamide, 2-(diethylamino)-N-(2,6-dimethylphenyl)-, monohydrochloride and has the molecular weight 270.8. Lidocaine hydrochloride (C14H22N2O HCl) Lidocaine hydrochloride injection, USP is a sterile, nonpyrogenic, isotonic solution containing sodium chloride. The pH of the solution is adjusted to approximately 6.5 (5.0−7.0) with sodium hydroxide and/or hydrochloric acid.

That is all the info i could find on the subject! I spend about 2 hours reviewing all of my pharm books and anesthesia books but there isnt anything more specific about how it is synthesized.

Great question im not sure if i answered it well.

Mike MacKinnon MSN FNP-C CRNA

I am a former Trauma Flight RN now a Family Nurse Practitioner and a Nurse Anesthetist (CRNAs). I can help answer questions on the CRNA profession and clinical anesthesia. I work full time as an independent practice CRNA and have a special interest in regional anesthesia, particularly peripheral nerve blocks. I also teach ultrasound regional anesthesia and lecture all over the country. If I do not know the answer, I will find it for you.

I am a Family Nurse Practitioner and a Nurse Anesthetist who works as an independent/autonomous practitioner. There are often questions about my profession and I would like to offer the service of an actual CRNA. If you did not know, there are about 40000 of us which equates to 50% of the anesthesia providers in the USA today. I also lecture and teach ultrasound regional anesthesia all over the country.

AANA (American Association of Nurse Anesthetists)
IARS (International Anesthesia Research Society) AANP (American Association of Nurse Practitioners)

Air Medical Transport Journal
OutPatient Surgery Magazine

Bachelors of Science in Nursing
Masters in Nursing
Family Nurse Practitioner
Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA)

Excellence in anesthesia education award