Anesthesiology/Peripheral nerve block, arm surgery

Question
When I had a severe break of My arm at the wrist (collies fracture) I required immediate setting of the bone, followed later by surgery to repair it and allow for proper healing. A metal plate was drilled to the radius to fixate the unstable fracture.
I had asked specifically for a PNB in addition to general anesthesia but was refused the PNB. I protested saying I knew I'd be in agony following surgery and had been having involuntary jerks and movements of the arm (awake, but mostly during sleep), so why no one? I wasn't given an explanation.
Was the doctor just being a sadist? He had been a huge, unreasonable jerk to me concerning other matters prior...
Still just wondering "why"?

Answer
Hey Amanda

Sorry for the late reply I was away!

That sounds like a horrible experience. I will say that it is not uncommon for anesthesia to not perform a PNB after a trauma. This happens because of concerns of nerve injury from the trauma itself AND the surgery to repair it. So what often happens is that a PNB is not done prior to surgery but done after the surgery and after a nerve assessment is completed.

Why your provider would not perform a block after the procedure and an assessment of your nerves I do not understand unless there is something else im not aware of.

Sorry you had to endue that pain and frustration!

Anesthesiology

Mike MacKinnon MSN FNP-C CRNA