Anesthesiology/spinal needle

Question
Dear Dr Russell I waiting for you to answer my question 1/15/2015.Can you please do so as it's a straight forward question.I will try again.My reply to your answer was.The problem is that the operation sheet 6/12/05 states that needle punctured dura through bony defect hole in sacrum at s2 level and this is where broken spinal fragment found and removed nearly a year later.So it is not hard to see that needle has not migrated.Do you think that the needle that punctured my dura in operation 6/12/05 is the same needle that was removed nearly a year later in the same defect hole in sacrum at s2 ? Please reply to this question with out confusing me.Thanks Dr Russell.

Answer
I will try not confuse you, but it is hard to understand exactly what happended.  By your description, it certainly seems that it is the same needle.  I just have a hard time understanding how in the world a surgeon could leave a needle behind in a patient.  If a needle breaks during a procedure, it is obvious to all that this has occurred.  So I'm not sure why this happened.  In most cases like this, there is more to the story than the patient is aware that often brings new light to the scenario.

REally the best person to answer this question is the surgeon present at the time of the mishap.

Dr. Russell

Anesthesiology

Rex Russell