Anesthesiology/Query

Question
Dear Doctor,

My mother 62 years old suffering from Spasmodic Torticollis (ST). She has stone in gallbladder need laparoscopic surgery. For this she need local anesthesia.

Now my question is, is their any possibilities to not coming her sense due to Spasmodic Torticollis (ST) problem.

Please let us know and make us worry free.

Thanks in advance

Regards
Niaz

Answer
Niaz,

My apologies for taking so long to get to your question.  I thank you for taking the time to ask your question.  I'll do my best to answer you.

I have to admit, I'm a little confused with your question.  You mention that your mother needs laparoscopic surgery for her gall bladder, and you also state she needs local anesthesia.  Are you referring to the injections they use when/where they put in the laparoscopic ports?

In my experience, and I am by no means an expert in Spasmodic Torticollis (ST), I have not come across any specific type of anesthesia that will elicit/bring on ST.  There have been a couple case reports of where ST occurred after induction of general anesthesia, and quickly resolved with diphenhydramine, due to what was thought as a dystonic reaction to possible patient daily medications (patient was schizophrenic and had suicidal ideations).  ST can also occur due to prolonged positioning of the head/neck, mostly in a side-laying position.  

That being said, and that ST is a physical limitation, it is unclear from your question, what you mean when you say "is there any possibilities to not coming her sense due to ST.)  Could you clarify?  Are you referring to her mentation?  Physical outcomes?

I will be happy to answer any further queries you might have, and I hope that I have helped in some degree.

Thanks again for the query-

Anesthesiology

Dino Kattato MSNA CRNA