Anesthesiology/Lumbar Epidural Injection

Question
My question is, I just got off of 1 1/2 yrs of vanco for MRSA due to failed fusion L4-S1, which led all hardware to be removed and 3 months bed rest.
So, about 2 weeks before I finished bed rest, severe pain appeared in the right leg to which none of previous pain was on right side. Gradually got worse to the point I am today.  Comes down leg, across knee across ankle bone into last toes. So surgeon says to get epidural.

My question is your opinion on having epidural and the risks of getting mrsa and bringing it back through and reinfecting the same area with mrsa for the 4th time.

Answer
The problem is not risk of MRSA but rather the risk of success. Having had a fusion (and one with some complications), the chances of a successful block are less. Given that, I would still prefer that option to repeated surgery so I would suggest seeing as anesthesia pain Specialist and discuss the options available. They will give you an honest assessment of the risks and benefits.

Ronald Levy, M.D.
Professor of Anesthesiology
UTMB-GALVESTON  

Anesthesiology

Ronald Levy, M.D.