Anesthesiology/Pregnancy and IV Sedation

Question
Hello - I am 16 weeks pregnant. During my first prenatal exam, I had a breast exam and the OB found a multilobular mass that she wanted me to get checked. I went to the breast surgeon and she wants to take it out. I asked about anesthesia when pregnant and she said it was safe. She spoke with the OB as well and the OB said it was safe as well. They plan on local with IV sedation (twilight).

Is this a safe approach, granted that local isn't enough because of where the mass is?  I am terried of sedation if it's considered unsafe. I assume the minimal will be used, but still want your opinion. I am persisting on local + light sedation if needed (not moderate, not heavy, not general).

Any info and advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Answer
Hi there

Sorry for the delay I was on vacation and just got the notification.

This is absolutely safe. The research is clear that there is no more risk of miscarriage or risk to the baby than what the normal rates are, even if they used general anesthesia on you.

You will do great and get this taken care of so you can enjoy your baby!  

Anesthesiology

Mike MacKinnon MSN FNP-C CRNA