Anesthesiology/Numb lip after gallbladder surgery

Please can you tell me whether my numb bottom lip will rectify itself?? I had keyhole gallbladder removal 3 weeks ago and when I woke up had a sore throat and numb bottom lip like I'd been to the dentist. The sore throat has gone but my bottom lip has only recovered at one side. The other feels like I have a lump in it and it is still no sensation in it. How long does it take to come back please?

That is very unusual. I'm not sure how that may have happened. The only anesthesia related mechanism I can think of would have during the intubation if it was difficult and resulted in trauma. Typically nerves will come back time. The amount of time depends on the type of damage and extent. The only certainty is that the nerve that serves your lip sustained damage in some form. The big question is how.
I hope that rather vague answer helps. If I had done the case there's a better chance I would know what happened. The hospital may be able to ask the anesthesiologist if they have any thoughts.

Rex Russell

Any question dealing with general anesthesia issues. With particular emphasis on regional anesthesia.

I am a board certified anesthesiologist, graduated from residency in 2004 from Johns Hopkins Hospital. I have since worked as an anesthesiologist first in the Air Force for three years and then most recently in Texas in Private Practice.

Texas Medical Association Texas society of Anesthesiologists American Society of Anesthesiologists

BS, BYU MD, U of Texas, Galveston Intern-St. Joe's Hospital, Phx, AZ Internal Medicine Residency-Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD