Anesthesiology/Benzocaine topical

Hi about a month about I used a spray containing 7.5% benzocaine since then I've got a loss of sensation in the area it was used as if it has not properly worn off is it possible the spray could of done some damage or that it has caused this I'm worried I'm stuck with this. I appreciate any advice you can give thank you

Hi there

I am sorry you are having this issues.

Benzocaine is a topical ester anesthetic which when applied to the mouth or mucous membranes has been found to be a cause of methemoglobinemia, a disorder in which the amount of oxygen carried by the blood is greatly reduced. It odes not sound like you are having this issue.

It would be unusual for there to be permanent damage to your sensation (nerves) from the application of benzocaine though it should not last more than a few hours after any application. If it has been quite some time i would consider following up with your primary care provider to check it for you.

Im sorry this isnt a definitive answer but after a search i could not find any reports of permanent nerve damage from topical benzocaine.  

Mike MacKinnon MSN FNP-C CRNA

I am a former Trauma Flight RN now a Family Nurse Practitioner and a Nurse Anesthetist (CRNAs). I can help answer questions on the CRNA profession and clinical anesthesia. I work full time as an independent practice CRNA and have a special interest in regional anesthesia, particularly peripheral nerve blocks. I also teach ultrasound regional anesthesia and lecture all over the country. If I do not know the answer, I will find it for you.

I am a Family Nurse Practitioner and a Nurse Anesthetist who works as an independent/autonomous practitioner. There are often questions about my profession and I would like to offer the service of an actual CRNA. If you did not know, there are about 40000 of us which equates to 50% of the anesthesia providers in the USA today. I also lecture and teach ultrasound regional anesthesia all over the country.

AANA (American Association of Nurse Anesthetists)
IARS (International Anesthesia Research Society) AANP (American Association of Nurse Practitioners)

Air Medical Transport Journal
OutPatient Surgery Magazine

Bachelors of Science in Nursing
Masters in Nursing
Family Nurse Practitioner
Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA)

Excellence in anesthesia education award