Hi I was wondering does methemoglobinemia effect the limb were the injection of anaesthetic has taken place or does it effect the whole body

Methemoglobinemia is a condition in which the hemoglobin binds to a component of the local anesthetic. Since the red blood cells contain the abnormal hemoglobin the condition is circulated throughout the body. However, it would take a great deal of local anesthetic to produce an excessive amount of methemoglobinemia and the condition is easily reversed with a substance called methylene blue.

Charles T Porter Jr MD

Questions in all fields of Anesthesiology except Pain Management.

I have been in the practice of Anesthesiology since 1981.

American Society of Anesthesiologists, International Anesthesia Research Society, Texas Society of Anesthesiologists, Texas Medical Association

Graduate of the Citadel and the Medical University of South Carolina. Completed Anesthesiology residency at the Naval Medical Center San Diego, California. Board certified in Anesthesiology and a Fellow of the American College of Anesthesiologists.

Alpha Omega Alpha National Medical Honor Society 1978, Outstanding Graduate Anesthesiology Resident Naval Medical Center San Diego California