Anesthesiology/methemoglobinemia

Question
Hi I was wondering does methemoglobinemia effect the limb were the injection of anaesthetic has taken place or does it effect the whole body

Answer
Methemoglobinemia is a condition in which the hemoglobin binds to a component of the local anesthetic. Since the red blood cells contain the abnormal hemoglobin the condition is circulated throughout the body. However, it would take a great deal of local anesthetic to produce an excessive amount of methemoglobinemia and the condition is easily reversed with a substance called methylene blue.

Anesthesiology

Charles T Porter Jr MD