Anesthesiology/methemoglobinemia

Question
Hi I was wondering does methemoglobinemia effect the limb where the injection of anaesthetic has taken place or does it effect the whole body

Answer
Hi there

Thanks for the question!

It impacts the whole body! Methemoglobinemia (congenital or acquired) occurs when red blood cells (RBCs) contain methemoglobin at levels higher than 1%. Methemoglobin results from the presence of iron in the ferric form instead of the usual ferrous form. This results in a decreased availability of oxygen to the tissues. Symptoms are proportional to the methemoglobin level and include skin color changes and blood color changes at levels up to 15% (see the image below). As levels rise above 15%, neurologic and cardiac symptoms arise as a consequence of hypoxia. Levels higher than 70% are usually fatal.

Hope this helps!

Anesthesiology

Mike MacKinnon MSN FNP-C CRNA