Anesthesiology/Pain

Question
This question has to do with pain management but not effectiveness of pain relief. I've started having back and my doctor has given me stretched and suggested over the counter Aleve. My question is do NSAIDs impede healing or have any other side effects?

Answer
NSAIDs are typically the first mode of treatment, along with physical therapy, for persons suffering from an acute or chronic pain condition. NSAIDs do not impede healing - they are anti-inflammatory in action and are helpful in speeding  the healing process. Like all other medications, NSAIDs have their own unique side effects such as gastric irritation which could lead to bleeding, potential harm the the kidneys and possible cardiac effects. These side effects can be seen if the medication is not taken as prescribed.

If you take the medication as directed you have a very low risk of potential harm and will find that your pain will be decreased allowing you more mobility and hastening the healing process.

Good luck.

Anesthesiology

Charles T Porter Jr MD