This question has to do with pain management but not effectiveness of pain relief. I've started having back and my doctor has given me stretched and suggested over the counter Aleve. My question is do NSAIDs impede healing or have any other side effects?

NSAIDs are typically the first mode of treatment, along with physical therapy, for persons suffering from an acute or chronic pain condition. NSAIDs do not impede healing - they are anti-inflammatory in action and are helpful in speeding  the healing process. Like all other medications, NSAIDs have their own unique side effects such as gastric irritation which could lead to bleeding, potential harm the the kidneys and possible cardiac effects. These side effects can be seen if the medication is not taken as prescribed.

If you take the medication as directed you have a very low risk of potential harm and will find that your pain will be decreased allowing you more mobility and hastening the healing process.

Good luck.

Charles T Porter Jr MD

Questions in all fields of Anesthesiology except Pain Management.

I have been in the practice of Anesthesiology since 1981.

American Society of Anesthesiologists, International Anesthesia Research Society, Texas Society of Anesthesiologists, Texas Medical Association

Graduate of the Citadel and the Medical University of South Carolina. Completed Anesthesiology residency at the Naval Medical Center San Diego, California. Board certified in Anesthesiology and a Fellow of the American College of Anesthesiologists.

Alpha Omega Alpha National Medical Honor Society 1978, Outstanding Graduate Anesthesiology Resident Naval Medical Center San Diego California