Anesthesiology/Upper and lower Gi

Question
Dr. Dr. Porter

1:Is it safe to have a Upper GI endoscopy and colonoscop at the same time or is it better
To have them separate?
2: what is the safest/best  anesthesia to use for twighlight and General ( for longer procedures) l that will cause the least neasea?

3: Is propofal a good safe choice for combo upper Gi and lower?
Thank you kindly

Answer
Upper GI endoscopy is often done with colonoscopy. There is no additional risk to the patient and it may be beneficial depending on the symptoms and indications.

In terms of anesthesia, propofol administered as a continuous infusion is the method of choice for almost all anesthesiologists. It is very effective with few potential side effects and wears off very quickly leaving the patient with a clear mind so they can be discharged sooner. Nausea or vomiting is seldom seen. I personally have had my colonoscopy using propofol and it was wonderful.

Of course, you should discuss the type of anesthesia/sedation you will receive with your anesthesiologist prior to the procedure and decide on a plan that meets your desires.

Good luck!

Anesthesiology

Charles T Porter Jr MD