Anesthesiology/work life balance

Question
Hi, how's the work life balance of your job?

like say can you do 3-12 hr shifts for full time?

Also is the locum tenens more or less like travel nursing or are their some distinctions between the two, that would affect salary and work life balance.

Answer
Hi there

Thanks for the question!

I will answer your questions in succession!

"like say can you do 3-12 hr shifts for full time?"

The answer is that it depends on the practice that you work in. I work in an all CRNA practice where we do not have shift work and work till the cases are done. Some weeks that might mean much more than 40-50 hours others it might be less.

There are certainly practices out there with shift work but they are not independent CRNA practices generally. So it depends on what you want.

"Also is the locum tenens more or less like travel nursing or are their some distinctions between the two, that would affect salary and work life balance."

Effectively it is the same idea. You take contracts which may be as short as a week or as long as months, often in these contracts they provide a place to live and liability insurance and sometimes other benefits like per diem pay for food, rental car etc.

Work life balance is a trade off. In places where you can do shift work you will make less and often have less autonomy. This is a choice every CRNA has to make for themselves.

Hope this helps!

Anesthesiology

Mike MacKinnon MSN FNP-C CRNA