Anglicans/cremation

Question
i live in Dallas and someone told me after the Service  the "ashes" were being scattered in the flower bed of the church?
Could not belive it.

Is this accepted practice??

Seems disrespectful on several levels
Thanks,

Linda

Answer
I assume your reservations were not shared by the relatives of the deceased.

I really do not know what is accepted practice in the USA. I started my ministry in the UK in a church where ashes were scattered in a rose garden in the churchyard but the clear recommendation now is that ashes should be interred, without a container, direct to the earth, and permission to create a garden of remembrance would usually have that as a condition.

I think the original intention of cremation was to leave no remains, but in practice in western society there is a reverence toward the remains, although in popular culture disposal of ashes has less reverence (Big Lebowski, ashes rocketed into space, etc.). Ecclesiastical laws applying to burial of a body in the UK now generally apply equally to cremated remains.

Anglicans

Rev Steve Parish