Anglicans/Faith

Question
QUESTION: How do you find Faith whilst drowning in a sea of doubt and scepticism? How can one accept things that defy scientific principles and evidence, how can we become like a child and accept things as spiritual truths whilst not becoming gullable and unquestioning? Thank you

ANSWER: Dear Stephen,

Doubt and scepticism are always dangers to faith. However there need not be direct conflict between, for instance, scientific enquiry and religious faith, provided there are recognised limits to both. For instance, modern understanding of the world is at odds with early Jewish concepts, such as the nature of the heavens and space. However, provided one does not read the book of Genesis in a literal manner, there really isn't anything in the New Testament that cannot be explained in a manner that satisfies scientific logic and religious faith. For instance, the accounts of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ accord very well with recent medical studies (in the details of the agony of Our Lord, the discharge of water and blood etc).

It is even possible to accept as religious truth that which defies scientific principles, though admittedly more challenging. Charles Darwin struggled with this, and although he eventually became an agnostic, groups such as The Society of Ordained Scientists uphold religious belief in the face of scientific conviction.

We should never be uncritical and blindly follow, but God gives us the facility of reason as well as faith, and he leads us to reconcile religion and science.  

QUESTION: Thank you for your answer. I suppose if you apply reason you can explain some things but others purely rely on faith and some would say defy reason- for instance the Resurrection, the Ascension, the Miracles. You cannot really look for explanations in physical science or do you think that we can start to explain it in way that scientists would recognise? Or does the spiritual exist on a strata above materialist scientific principles?

Answer
The scientific method works on completely different paths to religious faith. It is possible to apply the scientific method to religious matters, such as the resurrection, but there would be limits beyond which the method would not help - it can't prove something supernatural has occurred or could occur. In that sense spiritual reality is on a different strata.

Anglicans

The Reverend Professor Noel Cox