Hi Father, I am an Anglican member and I have few questions here.
I understand that the council of laodicea has change the day of worship from Saturday to Sunday. Is this mean that the Sabbath is still the day before Sunday or the 7th day of the week? If so is this mean that even if we worship on Sundays we still have to keep Saturday Holy as the Sabbath? Another Question here is does GOD agree with the change made by the council of Laodicea?

I also heard rumors that we Anglicans we plans to change our worship day to Saturday or 7th day of the week. Have you got any ideas on this?

Thank you

Canon 29 of the Council at Laodicea says, "Christians must not judaize by resting on the Sabbath, but must work on that day, rather honouring the Lord's Day; and, if they can, resting then as Christians. But if any shall be found to be judaizers, let them be anathema from Christ."

It tried to enforce a change that had happened gradually. The distinction is between the Jewish Sabbath (7th day) and The Lord's Day (1st day) - eventually the Lord's Day became (for some) the Christian Sabbath. The implication then is that resting on the Lord's Day was optional, and enforcing it was against Christian liberty from the Jewish laws.

The Church of England says that general church councils have made mistakes, but so far as I know the Anglican Communion doesn't think this was a mistake, so presumably we believe God agrees, or at least doesn't mind. I know of no intention for a change back to worship on the Jewish Sabbath.

Rev Steve Parish

I hope to answer questions on the theology, history, and constitution (there isn`t one!) of the Church of England (but not necessarily on the wider Anglican Communion)

A priest in the Church of England for over 30 years, with some specialist knowledge of the 19th century
I hold a Master's degree in Applied Theology
Church Times; Church of England Newspaper; Lion Encyclopedia of the Bible