Anglicans/Baby Baptism

Question
Hello Rev, I understand the Bible never mentioned baby baptism, however in my Church( Anglican Church, Luganville, Vanuatu) it is practical. Can you explain why while Bible only speaks about dedication of a child. Thank you.

Answer
There is not much in the Bible about dedication of children. There was no need as all children in the Jewish faith were children of the household of faith.

As Christian conversion involved a choice, and baptism was the outward sign of invisible faith, then the only issue is whether baptism must follow individual choice (impossible for an infant) or is part of the covenant relationship so that a child in a Christian family (even where only one parent is a believer) is "holy", and therefore, as a member of a Christian household, should be baptised. (1 Corinthians 7:14; Acts 16:33)

There is of course much else to be said, but that seems the basic argument for or against baptism of infants.

Anglicans

Rev Steve Parish