Anglicans/Banns

Question
Please explain banns reading.  I grew up in the United States, but I see on my parents marriage certificate 'under banns.'  Thank you.

Answer
Thank you for your question. Publication of banns is a preliminary step for a church wedding in the Church of England and some churches derived from it. It means that the parish priest at the church where the couple mean to marry - and sometimes a second church - announces, during the service, on three successive Sundays, that the couple are to be married. This is to ensure that everyone knows they will be married, and allows any objections (i.e. previous marriage) to be discovered.

Under banns means that the marriage followed the reading of banns, rather than following another procedure, such as a special licence.

Anglicans

The Reverend Professor Noel Cox