Animal Rights/research paper

Karin wrote at 2013-01-04 04:44:57
Hello Becky,

I couldn't go without answering your questions in my opinion.  It may be too late since you're research paper is likely already complete by the time you find and read this, but please do hear me out on my opinions for your questions.

(Forewarning: I am not an animal rights person nor a vegan, but still have a say in these sort of questions)

1) I personally believe it is more due to people becoming more aware of their health than what Tina had said about people being more aware of animals being sentient beings and all that stuff.  It's because they're much more aware that they don't need to eat as much meat because it's not necessary due to their lifestyle.  Two hundred years ago it WAS necessary because people were far more physical--as in performed much more physical labour--than they are today. Not everyone has to hand-make bread or toss 75 lb bales of hay into a hay loft all day long.

I highly disagree with Tina's assumption that it's to do with all the meat scares with E. coli, BSE or "pink slime".  Those are things that come and go, they don't leave much of a permanent impression on most folks.  Many people believe that the so-called "mad-cow" scare is just that--a scare, not anything to be so paranoid about because it is so rare and may never happen to most people.  IMO Tina's use of the Mad Cow scare over ten years ago is a pathetic example for your question, Becky.

2) There are if taken in moderation.  Protein, vitamin B12, zinc, iron and all those good nutrients are found in meat.  Even the fat in meat can be good if a person doesn't eat too much of it too often. Too much too often will cause health problems, and the meat that is produced today that comes from animals fed "unnatural" diets like corn grain obviously reflects that in those who live to eat, not eat to live.  I used to be guilty of that a long time ago, but have fortunately gotten out of that and become healthier every day as a result.

3)It's really hard to say.  There is speculation that meat consumption may continue to decrease, and more people may be consuming more poultry and pork and less red meat (beef and exotic red meat like venison, bison and elk meat) due to the less fat (not so much in pork) and much higher consistency that comes with these meats that you can't get with beef.  But I, once again, disagree with Tina:  Meat consumption won't disappear into nothingness, even though she and many others like her would love to have happen, it will grow less to the point where the majority of people want to eat more vegetables and a little meat.  Meat may become more of a niche or a specialty market than a conventional one, especially if the "natural" or "organic" type of meat production finally over comes the CAFO way of raising meat animals.

-Karin

Animal Rights

Tina Volpe