Animal Rights/NEED ASAP

Karin wrote at 2013-04-05 01:41:30

My opinion on animal rights come from the opposite spectrum that Tina is on.  

Animal rights has its place in society, but extremist views can be very hypocritical.  No doubt animals have the right to food, water, shelter, be treated as humanely as possible and be free from pain and suffering, but to say that they have feelings and emotions that parallel humans or are equal to humans is highly misguided and incorrect.  Also, the fact that they are "loving [and] sweet" is also highly refutable.  

Animals are not humans and should not be treated as such.  Animals are animals and humans are humans. Animals should be treated like they are, not like four-legged, extremely hairy humans.  That's where many pet owners get a lot of problems with their pets from: because they cannot get into the mind of what a dog, cat, gerbil or horse is REALLY thinking and feeling!  And they get offended or put off if someone tells them to quit treating their dog or cat like a human child.

Being scared to correct the misbehaviour of a pet because you're going to violate those so-called "feelings" that animals have parallel to us is what stops most people from getting the best-behaved dog, cat or horse they ever want.  The point I'm trying to get at is that there's a point where you can become too kind to your animals and end up spoiling them rotten all because you don't want to hurt their feelings, or "violate" their feelings.

The basics is that: You cannot protect what you cannot control!!  If you cannot control an animal, you can't protect it.  Control doesn't have to be in a physical form, but psychological as well.  Cats, dogs and horses do not live in a democratic world like us humans do.  They thrive best when a clear leader is at the controls.  If you cannot lead them or have full authority over them, they will become leader and have full authority over you (or try to), even if you don't realize it!

Animal rights is good to keep those who care for and use animals for food, fibre and work, but it can get in the way when it calls into question of the morality of certain practices that are there for not just the human, but the animal's protection and well-being.

Miriam wrote at 2013-11-18 05:17:31
Hi Tina,

I am an animal rights person too,

and I think your answer is great,

but I wanted to give you a bit of information.

Animals are not voiceless, although they may seem that way to some.

Animals can speak, just in different ways than human ways, so to fully hear an animal you have to know how to listen.

However, not many humans know how to listen, so people that don't should stand up for all animals as a collective, meaning what all animals have the right to.

I think you do a very good job with that,

but I just thought you might want to know that there is such a thing as communicating with animals.

Animal Rights

Tina Volpe

I can answer almost all questions about animals raised for food... and the horrifying truths of the abuse and torture these animals endure. Also, about the health ramifications of eating animals or their products, i.e. heart disease, cancer, diabetes, obesity, and a host of other diseases linked to our diets. Any questions on existing on a plant based diet, solely, raw diet and the health benefits.

Author of the book “The Fast Food Craze, Wreaking Havoc on Our Bodies and Our Animals” and co-author of the new book, "The Missing Peace, The Hidden Power of our Kinship with Animals". Health researcher, 34 year vegetarian, speaker, educator/consultant, television guest appearing all over the country, radio host of the top rated show “Wake Up America” on GlobalTalk Radio, and published columnist. Now affiliated with PCRM (Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine) as a "Heart Health" speaker, and SPEAK, as a Humane Educator.

Mercy for Animals, Compassion over Killing, Friends of Animals, PCRM (Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine) Farm Sanctuary, Animal Acres, Catskill Animal Sanctuary.

LA Life Magazine, Personal Excellence Magazine, and several other misc. publications.

See above