Animal Rights/Animal Cruelty

Question
I am currently doing a project for my journalism class and I wanted to do a Q&A article on animal cruelty. I was wondering if you would be willing to  answer some interview questions on the topic.

·        What is your view on animal cruelty

·        What is an effective way to stand against animal cruelty

·        What constitutes animal cruelty

·        Do you believe animals should have rights?

·        Why is animal cruelty a concern?

·        Some examples of ideas you had what you implemented

·        How many cases of animal abuse do you see each day? Every year?

·        Why do you think some people abuse their animals?

·        How can students like me help stop animal abuse?

Answer
Hello SoEun:

I'm happy you are doing such an important project.  The animals and I thank you.  

Here are some details:

·        What is your view on animal cruelty:  Cruelty should not be happening anywhere in the world.  Since we evolved from animals, they are literally our brothers and sisters, genetically, and we should treat them with respect, kindness and never take their right to life away.  Killing anything is wrong... every life has a purpose.

·        What is an effective way to stand against animal cruelty:  One of the best ways is to not adhere to it.  Refrain from contributing by not eating them, not going to circuses, not supporting any cruelty, especially on your plate.

·        What constitutes animal cruelty:  Same as it does for human beings.  Animals feel pain, joy, sadness, and incredible pain, just as humans do.

·        Do you believe animals should have rights? Sadly, only domesticated animals (dogs, cats, etc.) have rights.  Animals (who are just as smart, loving and sweet) in factory farms and slaughterhouses (food animals/farm animals) have no rights, and they are the most abused animals on the planet.

·        Why is animal cruelty a concern? Because it is morally, ethically and spiritually wrong to hurt anything that cannot defend itself, especially one that cannot speak for itself and one that wants to live as badly as we do.  

·        Some examples of ideas you had what you implemented:  I'm not sure what this question is asking, but I've written 2 books, working on a 3rd to try to get the message of peace, kindness, and love for each life, and to stop doing what we are doing to animals.  

·        How many cases of animal abuse do you see each day? Every year? 10 billion - that is 10,000,000,000 animals die each year in the U.S. alone - that is just land animals.  I see baby cows just born and ripped from their mothers so that humans can drink her milk.  Babies only hours old - put on a pile to die, alone, scared and hungry.  I see pigs in crates so tiny they cannot even move, turn over or stretch their legs.  Their babies are on the outside of this crate and they aren't allowed to nurture and love them.  Infants!  I see so many chickens, shoved into tiny cages they go insane, crowded like sardines so that people can eat their eggs - eggs that were meant to be their babies.  Baby lambs being pulled from their mothers so that people can eat 'rack of lamb' never considering that these infants need their mommies as much as we do.  I see so much that my heart breaks regularly.

·        Why do you think some people abuse their animals? There are some people who are cruel in spirit.  They should never be given the chance to harm any animal or human.  I don't know why they are cruel, but I hope animals stop being tortured and harmed.

·        How can students like me help stop animal abuse?  By doing what you are doing!  Spreading the message, letting people know of their plight.  By not contributing.  By going vegan.  

Thank you for allowing me to express myself about this enormous human wrong.  Just as the Holocaust and slavery were wrong, so is animal cruelty.  People will realize this someday, but in the meantime, billions of animals are suffering, horribly.  

Please, for more information see:  http://www.mercyforanimals.org/farm-to-fridge.aspx

With love for the animals,
Tina Volpe

Animal Rights

Tina Volpe