Animal Rights/Difference between AR and AW

Hello Tina,

I was wondering if you could tell me the difference between Animal Rights and Animal Welfare and possibly some information on either from your point of view.

Hi Karin -

Tough question, believe it or not... there are tremendous amounts of variations to both of these, but the basics are that animal rights are just that - if they don't they SHOULD have specific rights, similar to us humans that have rights, but limits to being treated kindly, not tortured, killed or enslaved against our will. Specific legal rights, actually.  Written down and followed.

Animal Welfare is the real slippery slope.  The basis is somewhat of an acceptance that animals are going to be enslaved and used - for food, leather, fur, testing, etc.. but welfare asks that they be treated humanely.  I've talked to so many welfarists that state that welfare is the catalyst to awakening others to their plight, such as the bills that are signed into law regularly to eliminate cruel gestation crates, or battery cages for chickens - but I disagree.  I think welfare gives people the green light to continue consuming animals.  Just like Whole Foods display's those pieces of flesh in their cases "Humanely raised" - which is wrong.  

Half the time what people don't see won't hurt them is their motto - the other issue, and the one I have the biggest problem with is slaughter.  They are still hung up by one leg - neck slit, and some get to the scalding tank alive.  

Killing, in any form - from ant to human  - is wrong. There would be much more peace on this planet if we stopped taking what doesn't belong to us in the first place.

Ok - I hope I've answered your question - Didn't mean to ramble.  This is an issue near and dear to my heart.  

Thanks Karin!

Animal Rights

Tina Volpe

I can answer almost all questions about animals raised for food... and the horrifying truths of the abuse and torture these animals endure. Also, about the health ramifications of eating animals or their products, i.e. heart disease, cancer, diabetes, obesity, and a host of other diseases linked to our diets. Any questions on existing on a plant based diet, solely, raw diet and the health benefits.

Author of the book “The Fast Food Craze, Wreaking Havoc on Our Bodies and Our Animals” and co-author of the new book, "The Missing Peace, The Hidden Power of our Kinship with Animals". Health researcher, 34 year vegetarian, speaker, educator/consultant, television guest appearing all over the country, radio host of the top rated show “Wake Up America” on GlobalTalk Radio, and published columnist. Now affiliated with PCRM (Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine) as a "Heart Health" speaker, and SPEAK, as a Humane Educator.

Mercy for Animals, Compassion over Killing, Friends of Animals, PCRM (Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine) Farm Sanctuary, Animal Acres, Catskill Animal Sanctuary.

LA Life Magazine, Personal Excellence Magazine, and several other misc. publications.

See above