Animal Rights/Animal rights

Hello, my name is David, and I attend Greendale Middle School.  My English class is researching a social issue, my social issue is animal rights.  We are supposed to contact an expert, or professional on the topic, and I considered you because you are an expert on the topic of animal rights. How do you help enforce animal rights?  Why do you think that it is important for animals to have rights?

Hi David,
Great Topic to choose!

I think you ask great questions but they are general and the topic is enormous. I suggest that you narrow your topic and select an organization and write to them about a specific animal rights issue, campaign or a concern that you have related to animals. However, generally I think you enforce animal rights through public education and awareness. As well as improve the legal system to include animal rights in law.

I agree with Tom Regan's quote about justice. He eloquently states:
Justice is the highest principle of ethics. We are not to commit or permit injustice so that good may come, not to violate the rights of the few so that the many might benefit. Slavery allowed this. Child labor allowed this. Most examples of social injustice allow this. But not the philosophy of animal rights, whose highest principle is that of justice: No one has a right to benefit as a result of violating another's rights, whether that "other" is a human being or some other animal.

This partial answer from a previous email should give your some ideas about aniaml rights subjects.

What you do to protect animals, should stem from your personal interests. There are many amazing organizations that fight diligently and tirelessly to stop animal cruelty. I've copied a few a lists at the end of this response for your review. I chose a diverse selection  from the lists that specialize in certain areas of activism and where  I have personal knowledge that they are a true and ethical animal rights organization. Click on any of the links and start to look at the education information. I’m hoping through this process you will be able to find a niche or organization that fits your interests. Many of the organizations below have chapters in every state that offer volunteer opportunities. Thanks again for caring about animals and having the courage to ask questions and the selflessness to want to become an active participant to better their lives.

Carnism Awareness & Action Network (CAAN)   Founded by  Dr. Melanie Joy, the  author of "Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows”.  I recommend this book to anyone who is interested in becoming an advocate for animals or someone who simply wants to know the truth about our culture and how it affects our mind and our actions. It’s an interesting read. This organization is dedicated to raising awareness of and transforming carnism, which is  the invisible belief system that conditions people to eat certain animals. Watch the home page video It’s very interesting.

I am an animal person and when I say animal person I mean I want to touch and hug every animal I see. I have respect for all animals and I do not need to participate in the systems that  harm them.  I want to experience a connection with them. If you are an animal person you have known that love when spending time with an animal that is treated right,  healthy and happy. it’s an amazing positive energy. Therefore I recommend vising a sanctuary. It is just good vibes for the soul.

Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary ( Woodstock, NY) – A artsy  hip sanctuary set in the Catskill mountains. They have some of the best animal videos that will make you smile and look at farm animals with a warm heart. Many celebrities have performed at WFAS events. (Moby, Chrissie Hyde, Sean Leannon, Tracy Bonham & Charlotte Kemp Muh) This place is special, you can learn important facts about animals while physically connecting with them and just having a good time. I highly recommend a visit. Great info on their website too!

Upcoming event in NYC. –May 31st – Dance Party

Farm Sanctuary - The largest farm animal sanctuary in the country. Tons of well-crafted information on their website. Another place I highly recommend visiting! They have several sanctuaries I NY and CA.

Upcoming event in California May 10 -Country Hoe Down

Best Friends Animal Society -  A sanctuary for all animals. Great educational information depicted in a positive light. They focus on rescue stories. If you are a person that has a hard time reading cruelty stories or watching abuse videos then this might be the website for you. I love their magazine!

Humane Society of the United States The largest AR organization. A lot of information on many subjects

PETA one of the most controversial  organizations in the AR movement and most likely the largest AR org in the World. No matter what anyone says about them I think they have accomplished so many victories for animals. Just look at their history!

Physician committee for responsible medicine - focused on preventive medicine and alternatives to animal research. A  group of extremely skilled doctors and scientists who provide alternative options to animal testing  and scientific research and education to the public and health organizations.

National Anti-Vivisection Society (NAVS) – their ultimate goal is the elimination animal use in product testing, education and biomedical research.

Animal Legal Defense Fund (ALDF) - Legal System advocates. They do amazing work. Take a look at their victories for animals.

Animal Rescue Corps animal rights organization that takes direct action to protect animals. They rescue animals that fall victim to abuse ( puppy mills/hoarders) and natural disasters.
They do amazing work just watch some of their rescue operations!

Sea Shepard Conservation Society - Direct Action activism for all marine wildlife ( Paul Watson is well known in the environmental and animal rights movement) This group is the subject of the TV show, Whale Wars on Animal Planet. This season looks fantastic!

A well fed world This is an amazing organization who have coupled human hunger and animal protection problems to find solutions that help both. They are a  hunger relief and animal protection organization that partner with and financially strengthen vegan feeding programs for people in need... farm animal care and rescue efforts... and pro-veg outreach campaigns.

Mercy for Animals Excellent video footage and undercover campaigns. They help all animals and have some very successful campaigns and great media output.

Compassion over Killing - Another great AR organization with successful investigations and campaigns.

PETA is also known for their undercover investigations and legal work.

Dr. Tom Regan’s book: Empty Cages: Facing the Challenge of Animal Rights

Dr. Peter Singer’s book Animal liberation

Another way to get involved it to attend an animal rights or vegetarian conference. The largest US animals rights conference is held every year in either LA or DC. This year it’s in LA, Ive provided a link below. This conference gives you a chance to meet other like-minded people and to attend seminars and hear from the most prominent leaders in the movement.

Good luck!
For the Animals,

Animal Rights

Robin Flynn

I can answer general questions about many animal rights topics, to include animals in entertainment, factory farming, vivisection & research, animals used for clothing, veganism, etc.

I am a true animal lover. I started on my vegetarian path at the age of 12 and am vegan today. I believe we have abused our powers over animals and it is time we make some ethical changes. I choose to fight for animals because it is easier than just sitting around and watching the abuse continue to happen.

I am a volunteer member of several organizations to include; PETA, PCRM, Sea Shepherd, Farm Sanctuary, HSUS, MARC, and Grey2K. The closest organization to my heart is The Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary. This place is truly amazing and its run by some really cool compassionate people. You can check them out at

Many years caring for different species of animals.