Mr. Silver

I am trusting is well with you. I am not sure if what I am about to ask is for the right person, but if not you could direct me where in the allexperts I should direct my question. As it relates to photography, say through a cell phone. Is it psossible for me to say, take a photo of myself smiling and somehow impose someone else's photo taken with a straight face, on my photo and create a smile on the imposed photo? Thanks in anticipation of your reply.

Hi David,

For this task, it would be best to use a program like Adobe Photoshop. You would use the Path or Lasso tool to cut out the face from one image and superimpose it on the face from the other image. You might use the Feather tool as well to soften the edge of what you cut out.

Joseph Silver

Ask any motion graphics, broadcast design, or After Effects questions.

Learn more about Joseph Silver and his work at Designomotion

Joseph Silver is the creative director of Designomotion, a motion graphics design studio located in New York City. His work has played in Times Square, the 2004 Olympics, and the 2006 World Cup, as well as being aired in commercials and show packages for ABC, CBS, MTV, and many other television networks. His studio has over ten years of experience creating customized broadcast design and animation for leaders in network television.

Education: Columbia University

Awards and Honors: Gold and Silver Broadcast Design Awards (Promax/BDA, Tribeca Film Festival)