Animation/Senior needing a bit of help!

Question
Mr. Calabrese, I am planning on getting a bachelors in Animation as soon as I graduate from high school in about 5 months.
  Unfortunately I noticed that most schools I want to apply to want me to have a enormous portfolio filled to the brim with various kinds of art; some of which I never even learned in my art class! I live in a isolated town which doesn't have any art classes available so the only other possibility I have is to try to self teach but I will never learn any techniques or rules that most artists use. What should I do?

Answer
Hi Erin,

I lived in the 'burbs and was pretty much self taught. If you have artwork that you have done on your own try to work that into a portfolio. Ask your school art teacher to help you. What ever certain schools ask for as part of your portfolio just do your best to give what they ask for.

Most schools don't teach anything valuable for actually working in the trenches of professional commercial animation production. ( I haven't graduated yet because I had dropped out of school and got a job at a studio as a general apprentice.) There are intern gigs at a lot of studios in Los Angeles such as Nick, Cartoon Network and Disney.

It's not a pre-requisite to have a degree to get a job.

Hope this helps,

ой

Animation

Russell Calabrese