Animation/New levels 3D animation

Considering the breakthroughs 3D animation has made in recent years and how it has become possible for actors like Sasha Barret Cohen (Hugo), Tom Hanks (Polar Express), etc. to be digitally scanned and represented onscreen by their 3D digitally animated counterparts, do you think it could be possible for the technology to evolve to the point where companies like Disney, Pixar, Dreamworks, etc. are able to resurrect popular and long dead actors, comedians, etc. (think of Clark Gable, Judy Garland, Laurel & Hardy, to name a few) and work the premise of a story around them on the silver screen? And are there any new developments that might indicate the industry is taking a step in that direction?

Hello Bob.

I really hope not.
I'm not in favor of using CGI for recreating dead actors and comedians.
There is no purpose for making fake versions of the real thing. What made those people great was their talent.
Their talent died with them and fortunately for us their work is captured on film for us to see for a long time.
CGI used for creating sets for actors to work in is fine. I am not a fan of motion capture unless it's used for a CGI version of Puppeteering.
The Henson Company has an amazing program for mixing mo-cap, CGI and puppeteering to create some amazing "live" performances and I liked what I saw when I visited their studio to see how it worked.

That's just my opinion.

Russell Calabrese

Technical questions about hand drawn and computer animation techniques and production. Historical questions about cartoons and animation.

30+ years as an Animator, Director and Producer of Television, Feature, Commercial and Independent Animation.

Academy of Television Arts and Sciences (Senior Governorof the Animation Peer Group) Executive Board Member of The Animation Guild ASIFA Hollywood

SVA, Rutgers University

Emmy Award winning Director 2007 "Where's Lazlo?: Camp Lazlo"
Emmy Award winning Director 1999 for "Steven Spielberg Presents Pinky and the Brain"

Warner Brothers, Disney, Cartoon Network