Annuals/Questions

SubjectDate AskedExpert
Wilting Petunias6/1/2016Long Island Gardener
  Q: I just planted wave petunias in hanging baskets a week ago already they look their wilting and they ...
  A: Check the roots. Many a farmer knows about Diabrotica undecimpunctata, the yellow-and-black striped ...
Annuals for a shady front border3/8/2016Mike Mascio
  Q: I have a house that faces west. The front has trees which block some of the afternoon sun. I would ...
  A: Cindy, I always recommend begonia, snapdragons, coleus, and impatiens for shady areas. Some sun ...
canterburybells7/14/2015C.L. Fornari
  Q: hi im growing canterburybells from a seed indoor and hydroponicly i read that they only live 2 yrs ...
  A: Cynthia, Canterbury bells are a true biennial, meaning that they grow one year, bloom the next, and ...
Hydrangeas - color7/12/2015Long Island Gardener
  Q: I have Hydrangeas in my garden which are normally pink but this year one or two are growing some ...
  A: Your soil is turning acid. That's a natural trend, caused by metabolism of good soil bacteria. ...
Putunia black spots and hornworm caterpillar moth6/10/2015Long Island Gardener
  Q: I read your answer to a question about black spots and hole in my petunia buds. Is this the moth in ...
  A: I don't have the answer you read, but let's talk about Hornworm Caterpillars, which morph into ...
Calla Lily5/21/2015C.L. Fornari
  Q: I have this Yellow Lily flowers and they started to bend down I don't know how much water they need ...
  A: Since the photo is dark I can't see how large the pot is, but I suspect that this plant may need to ...
when to plant outdoors5/7/2015Long Island Gardener
  Q: Ive started some annuals in small peat pots indoors, when is it okay to put them outside, I live in ...
  A: Annuals bought on Long Island started life in the fast lane months ago. Time is money in the nursery ...
Planting sunflower seeds in soil4/20/2015Mike Mascio
  Q: How deep should I plant sunflower seeds in the ground directly in the ground ?
  A: The general rule of thumb is to plant most seeds 2X their thickness. Sunflowers, depending on the ...
life of my spikes1/30/2015C.L. Fornari
  Q: I have 4 spikes that I used as centers in step floral arrangements. The flowers died, they were ...
  A: Shirley, These spikes are dracaenas. They are not hardy through a frost so if it's gone below ...
prunning gardenia bushes1/21/2015Mike Mascio
  Q: We live in Alabama and have quite a long growing season. I have 3 gardenia bushes that need to be ...
  A: Most gardeners will tell you there is no bad time to prune. But the optimum time is immediately ...
watering petunia1/17/2015C.L. Fornari
  Q: my petunia hanging basket are drying out so fast, i have to water them twice a day it's lot of work. ...
  A: Hoa, The water retaining gels need to be mixed in with the soil before planting in order to work. ...
Elephant ears9/2/2014Mike Mascio
  Q: After my leaves come out, they turn brown. Why?
  A: Brown leaves are usually an indication of too much water or excess nitrogen from fertilizing. When ...
wave petunia8/14/2014Long Island Gardener
  Q: I have 8-in hanging basket, how many wave petunia should i plant in the basket? whether one plant ...
  A: For quick results, put 2-3 plants in the basket and transplant as the basket fills out. Note that ...
wave petunia8/14/2014C.L. Fornari
  A: Hoa, It depends on how quickly you want results and if you are selling these baskets or doing them ...
Petunia Propagation7/27/2014Mike Mascio
  Q: My petunias are growing brown buds that turn hard and crack open with many tiny black round things ...
  A: These are seeds in the pods. They can certainly be planted next year, but if the plant is a hybrid, ...
Marigold Flowering6/17/2014Mike Mascio
  Q: hi i was just wandering how long it takes a marygold to grow from a seed to the flowering stage ...
  A: Marigolds will generally germinate in about 7 days and then reach the flowering stage in ...
Need HELP with day lily ASAP6/3/2014Long Island Gardener
  Q: I realize day lilies aren't annuals, but I sent a question to AllExperts over a week ago and the ...
  A: Try this: http://www.ehow.com/how_7315743_grow-daylilies-root-cutting-sections.html Surround your ...
rooting wave petunia5/24/2014Long Island Gardener
  Q: What is the different between wave petunia grown from seed and grown from rooted cutting. Do you ...
  A: Contrary to popular opinion -- and I include my own flawed advice on this matter -- there is nothing ...
geranium question5/1/2014C.L. Fornari
  Q: I have a pair of 2 pale pink geranium plants which I have over-wintered now for 5 years ...
  A: Patricia, I'd cut them back and root the new growth that you're cutting off. If the mother plant has ...
geraniums5/1/2014Long Island Gardener
  A: First, I apologize for your terribly long delay. We had serious technical problems that caused a ...
Sunflowers4/18/2014Mike Mascio
  Q: I live in Nova Scotia. I started sunflowers in peat pots and I think I started them too early ...
  A: Sunflowers cannot tolerate frost. I always recommend planting them one week following the last ...
Annual Seeds4/13/2014Mike Mascio
  Q: Recently at my garden center I bought some packets of annual flower seeds that looked very nice. I ...
  A: Choices as to what to grow are a personal choice based on specific preferences, including color, ...
growing seeds4/13/2014Long Island Gardener
  A: It is too early to plant seeds outdoors in Massachusetts. You should start them indoors in little ...
spikes espigas colous wasabi12/23/2013C.L. Fornari
  Q: i bought these plants to plant outside until i found out they dont survive winters in north dakota. ...
  A: Gary, I"m sorry but they are all annuals. Whether they will survive through the winter so that you ...
wave petunia11/23/2013C.L. Fornari
  Q: "Dear Fornari, What happens if I have rooting wave petunia, wheter the plant will show poor ...
  A: Hoa, Once the wave petunias have roots you'll want to get them in a small pot with potting soil so ...
wave petunia11/18/2013Long Island Gardener
  Q: What happens if I have rooting wave petunia, wheter the plant will show poor performance or any ...
  A: I hope I understand you correctly, Hoa - I am guessing you would like to know what types of problems ...
soil10/26/2013Long Island Gardener
  Q: We have recently moved to the east end of long island and I am discovering there is an area in our ...
  A: "Soggy" and "foul" sounds like a compost pile gone bad. Absolutely without a doubt, the odor is ...
four o'clocks9/10/2013Mike Mascio
  Q: I have a house in West Virginia zone 6a that faces the west.Every summer I plant four o'clocks. My ...
  A: You obviously know how to care for the plants given your success in the other beds. The problem most ...
sickly ivy geraniums8/23/2013C.L. Fornari
  Q: I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and the ivy geraniums I planted in flower boxes look ...
  A: Peggy, It's unlikely that you have "a bad batch." The things that will cause flowers and leaves to ...
portulaca question7/10/2013Long Island Gardener
  Q: I purchased a one gallon portulaca two days ago. It was nice, several good flowers on it, with ...
  A: Do you have rabbits in your neighborhood? This sounds like a classic case of Peter Rabbit. When ...
"bare root" carnations6/23/2013C.L. Fornari
  Q: I have about 2 dozen "bare root" carnations that I would like to plant, but I have no idea how to ...
  A: Richard, Are you planting these are garden plants or as future cut flowers? Is there no slightly ...
Money plant6/16/2013C.L. Fornari
  Q: it's me again.. I Have been noticing this one leaf of money plant getting yellowish , i was ...
  A: Gaurav, The photos don't come through for these AllExpert questions so I didn't get to see what ...
Bougainvilla and petunia6/15/2013C.L. Fornari
  Q: I live in the equatorial region. I recently bought a bougainvilla that was flowering very nicely ...
  A: Peter, It sounds like your bougainvilla is getting too much water, not too little. When a plant ...
prob with petunias6/13/2013C.L. Fornari
  Q: I simply cannot get my petunias to bloom 3 weeks after bringing them home. They are in large pots ...
  A: Patricia, Are these plants getting at least 5 hours of direct sun? If they are not, that's the ...
petunia problem6/13/2013Long Island Gardener
  A: Petunias are the perfect summer plant, provided you have the light to grow them, and you deadhead. ...
Spike/Dracena lifespan6/5/2013Long Island Gardener
  Q: Spike-Dracena. I live in New Brunswick Canada, Zone 3. This will be my 5th year with them and they ...
  A: Dracaena indivisa (aka Cordyline indivisa) -- commonly called the "Spike Plant" or "Spike Dracaena" ...
Annuals for sun planted in part-sun.6/3/2013Long Island Gardener
  Q: New in my Condominium, I was asked to plant the grounds with annuals. I asked about hours of ...
  A: Dappled shade will do nothing for your Petunias and Marigolds. They must repeat MUST be moved. ...
Roses6/1/2013C.L. Fornari
  Q: I am having problem with roses, for 4 days i'm observing suddenly flowerbuds are falling off and ...
  A: Gaurav, I'd go out at night and look at the plants with a flashlight to see if you can spot an ...
Money plant care5/17/2013C.L. Fornari
  Q: I brought home a small 'Money Plant' 4 days ago . Ever since then it's same , i mean i haven't seen ...
  A: Gaurav, Nothing is wrong so you can relax and enjoy the different growing pace of the plants you ...
Coleus dying.4/27/2013Mike Mascio
  Q: I have a small Coleus plant. It has the 'Green' (outline) and Red(center) coloured leaves. Since ...
  A: The symptoms you've described sound like the plant has received too much water. When this happens, ...

Page:    1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10   |  Next       All

Annuals

Long Island Gardener

Top Expert on this page