Annuals/Over wintering King Tut grass

Chrissie wrote at 2013-10-07 22:46:17
I managed to overwinter my Baby Tut grass last year. I live in Alberta, Canada where our winters are also long & cold. The pond needs to be emptied every Autumn, so I brought my Baby Tut inside, placed it in a sunny eastern window in a large tub of water. I also put my Canna Lily into the tub, which had also been growing well in the pond that summer. The lily sprouted up a good 4' high but it bent & broke under its own weight (still lives though). The Baby Tut survived & thrived I'm happy to report. I'm attempting to do the same routine this winter, although the mother plant (gave me 3 new Tuts)dried out before I got the tub ready. I've just given it a good pruning & I can see some green shoots, so there is still hope yet. Btw, I got the babies by bending a stalk of the plant down so it touched the water, it quickly grew roots & was then planted. The 3 babies are now a good size themselves, so even if the mother dies, I'll hopefully have these 3 to carry on the strain.

C.L. Fornari

Annuals suggested for specific situations (sun, shade, windowboxes etc) New or unusual annuals are a particular interest of mine, and I grow many of these from seed. I am happy to help problem solve, answer questions about maintenance, and guide you to sources of unusual plants.

I am a garden writer/speaker/consultant and host of a weekly gardening radio program in the Northeast. I have been gardening all my life for my own pleasure, and started as a professional gardener and garden communicator 15 years ago. I work part-time at a garden center, selling and tending shrubs/trees/annuals/perennials...and doing some propagation and design work. I often think that all these professional activities serve to put a somewhat legitimate framework around a serious case of plant-lust.