Annuals/Dracinea's

Question
Can I cut Dracaenas' back to winter them in the house?
Thank-you, Ketina

Answer
Dracaenas are grown as annuals in much of the country.  Here on Long Island, however -- zone 7, the northernmost border of hardiness for these plants -- some people find they survive the winter, usually southern exposures.

But these are excellent container plants, easy and prolific, low maintenance, shade-loving, drought and low humidity tolerant and colorful.

Cutting them back is not quite as effective as it would be with a dicot.  Dracaenas are monocots, sort of like the grass in your lawn.  Dicots by contrast grow side shoots from buds with hormones in them that turn into branches and grow thick, bushy plants.  Dracaenas have none of those buds and branches.  They grow up, not out.

What you can do is slice off the top of the plant and root it like you would a cutting from a Geranium or an avocado pit.  Slice 6 inches above the base. The lower plant will sprout new branches from the base.   Root the cut section in a container of water, sand or perlite.  That portion should be about 6 inches long.  Any pieces of stem in between can be sliced, with a node, set in peat moss and misted daily. Bright light is all they need.

By spring, you'll be swimming in Dracaenas.

PS: Do not fertilize.  These plants evolved in dusty, drought stricken latitudes. Provide a light, well draining soil and pour them a glass of diluted juice, tea or coffee every once in a  while for a treat.  Mostly, just add water.

THE LONG ISLAND GARDENER

Annuals

Long Island Gardener