Annuals/lawn coverage options

I live in Atlanta, GA.
I currently have a grass lawn in the front of my house. My back yard is a grass lawn also, but with boarders of mulch against the fence and under my deck.

I am looking to replace dirt/mulch areas and some grass areas with some type of plant/grass/weed, something!

-afforable, I have a lot of area to cover so I think I'll need a lot of seed. The more affordable the better!
-little to low maintenance
-preferably lasts all year, but doesn't matter.
-color doesn't matter.

Hope this is not asking for much, but what your your suggestions?

I am a fan of Hostas.  They are easy to grow, no-maintenance, get bigger every year and can be divided/multiplied, and go dormant in winter.  They come in different sizes and different patterns.  They bloom, some fragrantly, in autumn. And they grow anywhere, especially in deep shade.  Really, what's not to like?

At the far ends of your mulched edges by the fence, I would find a few nice evergreens down at your local garden center.  Although I have my favorites, your demands are so low I would hate to overlook something that's on sale at Home Depot.  Just make sure you water it faithfully the first season so it gets a good base.

Since you are already growing a lawn, I would not want to select a different variety of grass for the patches that are left.  I would instead pick Clover.  It spreads, it's good for the rest of the lawn (fertilizing furiously) and it actually smells good when it rains.  You don't have to mow it, but if you do, it recovers.  This used to be a status symbol in the '50s, before Scotts brainwashed everyone into thinking of it as a weed, mainly because their weedkiller killed it.  That's not a weed.  Clover will grow in shade or sun.

Thanks for your question.

Long Island Gardener

Decisions, decisions... If you can't make up your mind which Annuals to grow, you're not alone. Problem with your new flowering Annuals flats? I`ve been there, done that. Petunias, Sweet Alyssum, Larkspur, Marine Blue Lobelia -- they all grow here at my house on Garden Street on Long Island, N.Y.. Cutting and Cottage Gardens, Sun and Shade Gardens, White Gardens and Night Gardens, I`ve done them all. Annuals are the perfect summer flower, bursting with color June through fall's first frost. I can`t speak on Cactus or tender Tropical Plants -- they don`t grow outside in my Zone 7. I`m no Farmer, so I cannot guide you on Fruits and Vegetables. But whether it`s an Annual you want to start from seed, mail-order or pick up at your local garden center, I can help you grow amazing blooms this Summer. Yes, together, we can turn your neighbors green with envy.

I have a lifetime of gardening behind me here on the North Shore of Long Island. While I have degrees in related fields, there's nothing like hands-on work to build real knowledge. I stay on top of current science -- there's a boom in research, and Kingdom Plantae is filled with surprises. By the way, I really do live on Garden Street.

Gannett newspapers, The New York Times, and hundreds of others - but not on Annuals.

B.A., botany; graduate credits in European Intellectual History and Political Science; minor coursework in related fields, docent training at our local botanical gardens (required for volunteers). I'm currently working on an advanced biochemistry degree.

I could tell you, but then you'd know who I am.