Annuals/geranium question

Question
Hi, I have a pair of 2 pale pink geranium plants which I have over-wintered now for 5 years successfully. They are gorgeous due to their pale color. However, I think I neglected them some this winter, not watering enough. It is odd, but they are well-attached to the soil at the roots, and have some nice green leaves coming out of the tips, but the middle of their stems are quite soft, as if dying. I put them on the porch, watered well, yet I wonder if I should cut them back, or maybe it is too late to cut them back? The center part of these stems are very soft, and I am concerned. I have kept them for 5 years, even though geraniums are technically annuals. Please tell me what to do to possibly save them. Thank you.

Answer
Patricia,
I'd cut them back and root the new growth that you're cutting off. If the mother plant has been in the same pot for a long time it might also need new soil. So after cutting back, repot the original in new dirt, knocking some of the old dirt off before placing it back in the pot with new. You could add a small handful of an organic fertilizer such as Plant-tone into the soil to feed long term.

Here is a video on how to root geranium cuttings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28N4nSpV_u4

It isn't too late - the cuttings root quickly and the mother plant will be full of new growth by the end of June I'm guessing.

Sorry it took so long to answer this - my Allexperts questions were going into my spam folder.

Annuals

C.L. Fornari