Annuals/rooting wave petunia

dear Long Island Gardener,

What is the different between wave petunia grown from seed and grown from rooted cutting. Do you think wave petunia that grown from seed will show a better performance than the one grown from cutting.

Thanks you!

Contrary to popular opinion -- and I include my own flawed advice on this matter -- there is nothing repeat nothing illegal about rooting cuttings for your Wave Petunias.

I made this mistake last year and boy did I get an earful from the gardening intellectual property lawyers.  Waves are trademarked.  They are not patented.

Who knew?

So for those Wave lovers who have taken cuttings over the years and grew them over and over, you are not un-convicted felons.  You are law abiding gardeners who love Wave Petunias.

Selling your offspring as "Wave" is a horse of a different color, but what gardener has time to do this anyway?  There is already too much to do, sunrise to sunset.

That said: "Waves" grown from seed, provided they are the same plant, are identical to rooted Wave cuttings. I have not tried this at home.  But I have it on good authority from those who have.

This is assuming the seeds are legitimate, purchased from the Ball Horticultural Company, which in the U.S. owns, as it has for at least a dozen years, rights to sell the Wave seeds.

Wave was invented by Tokyo-based Kirin Agribio Company, best known for its beer-brewing parent, Kirin.  Researcher Daigaku Takeshita, Kirin's Chief Breeder, took trophies for the cutting edge Purple Wave seed-grown Petunia trailers, including the first AAS 'Breeder's Cup,' created to honor a flowers or vegetables breeder for significant contributions to scientific advancements.

Flower cuttings wholesaler Kirin Agribio is now the Hamamatsu-based Japan Agribio, and owned by a Dutch company.  How's that for globalization?

Japan is incredibly dedicated to science-driven agriculture.  After all, the esthetic advances in farming and horticulture are driven by DNA and genes.  It all boils down to molecules.

I have from time to time tried to talk with Mr Takeshita, who will surely be on someone's short list for a Nobel prize if he keeps up the good work.  He would be able to respond with authority on this subject.  So far, unfortunately, he has no time for The Long Island Gardener.

And so while I opine on this with a "yes these will bloom the same," I want to explain exactly why they might not, and why Waves are different.

We must wait for word from Mr Takeshita-san for this information.

Meantime, you tell me!

Long Island Gardener

Decisions, decisions... If you can't make up your mind which Annuals to grow, you're not alone. Problem with your new flowering Annuals flats? I`ve been there, done that. Petunias, Sweet Alyssum, Larkspur, Marine Blue Lobelia -- they all grow here at my house on Garden Street on Long Island, N.Y.. Cutting and Cottage Gardens, Sun and Shade Gardens, White Gardens and Night Gardens, I`ve done them all. Annuals are the perfect summer flower, bursting with color June through fall's first frost. I can`t speak on Cactus or tender Tropical Plants -- they don`t grow outside in my Zone 7. I`m no Farmer, so I cannot guide you on Fruits and Vegetables. But whether it`s an Annual you want to start from seed, mail-order or pick up at your local garden center, I can help you grow amazing blooms this Summer. Yes, together, we can turn your neighbors green with envy.

I have a lifetime of gardening behind me here on the North Shore of Long Island. While I have degrees in related fields, there's nothing like hands-on work to build real knowledge. I stay on top of current science -- there's a boom in research, and Kingdom Plantae is filled with surprises. By the way, I really do live on Garden Street.

Gannett newspapers, The New York Times, and hundreds of others - but not on Annuals.

B.A., botany; graduate credits in European Intellectual History and Political Science; minor coursework in related fields, docent training at our local botanical gardens (required for volunteers). I'm currently working on an advanced biochemistry degree.

I could tell you, but then you'd know who I am.