Annuals/Need HELP with day lily ASAP

Hi, I realize day lilies aren't annuals, but I sent a question to AllExperts over a week ago and the person never answered. It has to be a pretty easy one to answer. I need help ASAP, and can't find my answer in books. If you can help me I'll be forever in your debt! (BTW, I am a volunteer and always answer my questions, even if I have to do research). OK, well my son gave me a lovely daylily for Mother's Day. I planted it, it had 3 stalks with flowers. Planted in a proper place with drainage and good sun. However, about a week later something started eating it, apparently, and leaving the stalks lying on their sides! Gophers? Moles? I've never had that problem before. I know I can always return them to Lowe's and get a replacement, but the same thing will happen. Two days ago I found my third and last stalk lying on the ground detached from the root, bulb or whatever lilies have. I am infuriated and very disappointed. When he comes to visit what will I tell him? ALSO, I took all the stalks that were on the ground and put them in water as if rooting them. Not sure if that was the thing to do, but they are staying green so far. You have helped me in the past and I will be so grateful for any help you can offer. Thank you a million times over.

Try this:

Surround your plants with garlic cloves, dryer sheets and mothballs until you figure out what is eating them.

And figure out what is devouring them.  A motion triggered camera would be perfect.

Good luck.

Long Island Gardener

Decisions, decisions... If you can't make up your mind which Annuals to grow, you're not alone. Problem with your new flowering Annuals flats? I`ve been there, done that. Petunias, Sweet Alyssum, Larkspur, Marine Blue Lobelia -- they all grow here at my house on Garden Street on Long Island, N.Y.. Cutting and Cottage Gardens, Sun and Shade Gardens, White Gardens and Night Gardens, I`ve done them all. Annuals are the perfect summer flower, bursting with color June through fall's first frost. I can`t speak on Cactus or tender Tropical Plants -- they don`t grow outside in my Zone 7. I`m no Farmer, so I cannot guide you on Fruits and Vegetables. But whether it`s an Annual you want to start from seed, mail-order or pick up at your local garden center, I can help you grow amazing blooms this Summer. Yes, together, we can turn your neighbors green with envy.

I have a lifetime of gardening behind me here on the North Shore of Long Island. While I have degrees in related fields, there's nothing like hands-on work to build real knowledge. I stay on top of current science -- there's a boom in research, and Kingdom Plantae is filled with surprises. By the way, I really do live on Garden Street.

Gannett newspapers, The New York Times, and hundreds of others - but not on Annuals.

B.A., botany; graduate credits in European Intellectual History and Political Science; minor coursework in related fields, docent training at our local botanical gardens (required for volunteers). I'm currently working on an advanced biochemistry degree.

I could tell you, but then you'd know who I am.