Annuals/wave petunia

dear Fornari,

I have 8-in hanging basket, how many wave petunia should i plant in the basket? whether one plant will make a full hanging basket?

Best regards,

It depends on how quickly you want results and if you are selling these baskets or doing them for yourself. If you are selling them and want to get them out quickly you'd use 2 per basket. In an 8" basket one plant will fill the entire basket but it will just take a bit longer and you should pinch the tips of the stems when they are about 5 inches or 12.7 cm long to make the plants branch and thicken. You can do this again when the growth is about twice that size in order to make bushier, fuller plants.

C.L. Fornari

Annuals suggested for specific situations (sun, shade, windowboxes etc) New or unusual annuals are a particular interest of mine, and I grow many of these from seed. I am happy to help problem solve, answer questions about maintenance, and guide you to sources of unusual plants.

I am a garden writer/speaker/consultant and host of a weekly gardening radio program in the Northeast. I have been gardening all my life for my own pleasure, and started as a professional gardener and garden communicator 15 years ago. I work part-time at a garden center, selling and tending shrubs/trees/annuals/perennials...and doing some propagation and design work. I often think that all these professional activities serve to put a somewhat legitimate framework around a serious case of plant-lust.