Annuals/Elephant ears

Question
After my leaves come out, they turn brown. Why?

Answer
Brown leaves are usually an indication of too much water or excess nitrogen from fertilizing. When the soil is soggy, the roots can no longer absorb the nutrients needed for good color and strong growth. Over-fertilization can result in roots burning.

Only water when the top two inches of the soil is dry.  When watering, water deeply.  Shallow watering results in the roots reaching for the surface, which can also cause weak growth.  I only water my house plants once every 10 days. If your plants are outdoors, or your conditions are more dry and arid, you may have to water a little more frequently.

I hope this answered your question.  Please write again if I can ever provide assistance.

Mike

Annuals

Mike Mascio