Annuals/prunning gardenia bushes

We live in Alabama and have quite a long growing season.  I have 3 gardenia bushes that need to be cut back and we are not sure when the need to do this.  Can you help me?  Thanks for any advise you can give.

Most gardeners will tell you there is no bad time to prune. But the optimum time is immediately following the first frost, just before the plant goes dormant. Always avoid the beginning of the growing season, when the plant is first budding.You can also prune one month after the plant flowers in spring.

One other piece of advice. Never prune more than 1/3 of the plant. Doing so can cause the plant to go into shock. And always water the plant deeply immediately after pruning.

I hope this answered your question. Please write again if I can ever be of assistance.

Mike Mascio

I have been an avid gardener since 1985 and an AllExpert volunteer since 1998. I specialize in soil preparation, seed starting and plant propagation, flowers, vegetables, and general landscaping. I am a strong advocate of the square foot method of gardening and the use of organic controls for pests and diseases.

An All-Expert volunteer since 1998.