Annuals/when to plant outdoors

Ive started some annuals in small peat pots indoors, when is it okay to put them outside, I live in Massapequa.
When do you like to put flowering plants purchased at local nursery outside.
Thanks for your help.

Annuals bought on Long Island started life in the fast lane months ago. Time is money in the nursery business and this is the high season.

It is likewise the perfect time of year to put new plants in the ground. Frost is finished; sun is shining; life is good.

Besides the beaming solar system, there is another benefit: balmy spring temps. The chlorophyll in annual leaves works best when it's in the low to mid 70s.

The moderate dips in degrees at night are also beneficial to plants we grow around here.  Remember, without sun, chlorophyll rests.  The pores in the leaves of Petunias, Begonias, Impatiens and Roses -- "C3" plants, named after their system of building 3-carbon compounds out of CO2 -- open during the day to breathe.  The C3 chemical reactions are highly efficient in cool, wet weather of spring.  It is why we mow grass more often in spring than summer.

The biggest threat to seedlings at this time of year is slugs.  Not the weather.

Long Island Gardener

Decisions, decisions... If you can't make up your mind which Annuals to grow, you're not alone. Problem with your new flowering Annuals flats? I`ve been there, done that. Petunias, Sweet Alyssum, Larkspur, Marine Blue Lobelia -- they all grow here at my house on Garden Street on Long Island, N.Y.. Cutting and Cottage Gardens, Sun and Shade Gardens, White Gardens and Night Gardens, I`ve done them all. Annuals are the perfect summer flower, bursting with color June through fall's first frost. I can`t speak on Cactus or tender Tropical Plants -- they don`t grow outside in my Zone 7. I`m no Farmer, so I cannot guide you on Fruits and Vegetables. But whether it`s an Annual you want to start from seed, mail-order or pick up at your local garden center, I can help you grow amazing blooms this Summer. Yes, together, we can turn your neighbors green with envy.

I have a lifetime of gardening behind me here on the North Shore of Long Island. While I have degrees in related fields, there's nothing like hands-on work to build real knowledge. I stay on top of current science -- there's a boom in research, and Kingdom Plantae is filled with surprises. By the way, I really do live on Garden Street.

Gannett newspapers, The New York Times, and hundreds of others - but not on Annuals.

B.A., botany; graduate credits in European Intellectual History and Political Science; minor coursework in related fields, docent training at our local botanical gardens (required for volunteers). I'm currently working on an advanced biochemistry degree.

I could tell you, but then you'd know who I am.