Annuals/Annuals for a shady front border

I have a house that faces west. The front has trees which block some of the afternoon sun. I would be interested in any suggestions as to what type of annuals I could plant along the front of the house.

Thank you.

Cindy, I always recommend begonia, snapdragons, coleus, and impatiens for shady areas.  Some sun will not affect their color or growth habit. Snapdragons can be sown directly in the garden, and will readily reseed themselves. The other annuals require at least 8 weeks of growth from seed, so these need to be purchased as seedlings or started indoors in early spring for timely flowering.

I would recommend looking at Park Seed's or Burpee's websites to compare the different varieties of each species. There is quite a range of colors and growth habits for each.

I hope this information helps.  Have a great day.

Mike Mascio

I have been an avid gardener since 1985 and an AllExpert volunteer since 1998. I specialize in soil preparation, seed starting and plant propagation, flowers, vegetables, and general landscaping. I am a strong advocate of the square foot method of gardening and the use of organic controls for pests and diseases.

An All-Expert volunteer since 1998.