Anorexia/Eating Disorders/I'm Not Eating

I am fifteen, and a girl, and I have been becoming increasingly worried about my eating habits lately.
I am normally a good eater, can't live without breakfast, lunch and especially dinner. But lately, I have been missing breakfast, I have not been eating my lunch, and just had no appetite when it came to tea.
In the last three days I have eaten three nutella sandwiches and a packet of Smiths chips. This morning, I could only manage to eat three bites of nutri-grain, before giving up and tipping the milk into a cup and just drinking that.

The amount I eat had been getting noticeably smaller in the last year, but I figured that would be normal, and everyone else said it was too, considering I had depression. It was apparantly a symptom. I used to eat just as much as my Dad. Now I eat less than my three year old sister. (I wasn't put on medication)
I don't know what to do, I try to eat, but I barely get through it. The only reason I finished the nutella sandwiches was because I hate wasting nutella, 'cause it costs so much. And the chips, I just didn't want to worry my Mum.

I have tried drinking those Up&Gos, and they seem to go down well, but I can't live off of them.

I have no qualms about my figure, I don't care how much I weigh, and I'm fairly thin anyway. So that isn't the problem. I've never dieted in my life. Never stopped eating deliberately for anything.

What should I do?

ANSWER: Hi Darcy,

What happened immediately preceding this change? Any upset or trauma? Have you been sick? If you just lost your appetite for no reason, and can't get or keep down solid food, then you need to see your doctor ASAP.  

QUESTION: I have recently moved out of my Dads house (recently being three months ago . . .) and am living with my mum, and her fiance. She and her fiance have been arguing a bit recently, and I had broken up with my girlfriend three weeks ago. I do have a tendency to not react to things like that for a while. I just carry on, and it takes a while for anything to sink in emotionally. So, maybe?

I don't know.

I haven't been sick, I have a strong immune system, so I rarely ever get sick.
(my now ex girlfriend forced me to have half a banana today when I complained about my lack of appetite. I just managed to keep it down.)

Hi Darcy,

It could be stress related.  You've got a lot going on in your life right now, what do you do to relieve stress? Have you thought about a few sessions with a psychologist to talk through the losses you've experienced?

As far as getting enough calories goes, can you do smoothies? Start with liquids and if that goes well move onto mushy solids like rice,bananas, oatmeal, etc. f you can keep those down try sandwiches. Keep experimenting until you can eat again.

Anorexia/Eating Disorders

Mary Pritchard

I can answer questions about the psychology of eating, disordered eating attitudes and behaviors such as drive for thinness, drive for muscularity, binge eating, body dysmorphia, dieting, excessive/obsessive exercise, and body dissatisfaction. I can also answer questions about anorexia and bulimia.

I have a PhD in Psychology and teach courses in the Psychology of Health and the Psychology of Eating. I have been conducting research on disordered eating and exercise behaviors for 15 years.

Midwestern psychological association, rocky mountain psychological association

Over 50 peer-reviewed journal articles in journals such as Eating Behaviors, Eating Disorders, and Eating and Weight Disorders

PhD in Psychology from the University of Denver

30 teaching awards, have received funding to conduct my research from academic institutions and state and local government